Established in 1984, the Association of Professional Executives of the Public Service of Canada (APEX) is the national association for federal public service executives. We focus on supporting the success of executives and their community and being the voice of that community.
APEX is an independent, not-for-profit organization governed by a volunteer Board of Directors of federal executives. Approximately 3,000 federal public service executives from across the country are members of the Association, but many services are available to the more than 7,200 executives employed in the federal public service and those who are retired.
Led by the Chief Executive Officer, the Association is composed of 2 other senior Executives (Chief of Operations and the Senior Advisor for Executives), APEX Executives (AEs) from the public service via Interchange Canada and permanent staff. APEX Executives are drawn from their home organizations with the agreement of their Deputy Heads to cover their full salary, performance pay, and benefits for the entire duration of their assignment at APEX.
APEX offers a well-appointed, positive and respectful work environment at 75 Albert Street, in downtown Ottawa. APEX is a national organization and Executives from across the country are invited to apply.
APEX is looking for Executives at all levels currently employed in the Federal Public Service and eligible for an Interchange Agreement to fill the following roles:
- APEX Executive – Planning and Governance
- APEX Executive – Research – Executive Policies
- APEX Executive – Research – Health, Wellness and Talent Management
1. APEX Executive – Planning and Governance
This role is the lead responsible for internal governance including supporting the Board of Directors, the Board Chair and members more broadly and the various Board committees. As a valued APEX team member, this APEX Executive position would also undertake special projects as directed by the APEX CEO in advancing the APEX mandate.
More specifically, this position would:
- Provide strategic advice to the APEX CEO as well as the Board of Directors regarding governance and Board matters, including APEX By-laws
- Provide meeting materials (i.e. agendas, motions, supporting documents, minutes etc.) in support of the regular Board of Directors’ meetings
- Provide specialized materials (agendas, decks, reports, analyses, communications etc.) in support of the Annual General Meeting and Board of Directors Planning Retreat
- Provide support to all Board of Director’s Committees. This includes for example, support to the Nominating Committee in the development of a slate of candidates for Board of Directors vacancies and oversight of the voting process for the election of new Board members including the communication of the relevant information/instructions to the membership
- Develop up-to-date orientation materials for new Board of Directors members, participate in the formal orientation session and prepare all required transition documents (i.e. thank you letters, welcome letters etc.)
- Undertake requests for follow-up and the development of specific governance related process improvements and initiatives at the request of the Board of Directors
- Provide guidance, support and assistance to individual Board members in relation to their specific roles and responsibilities vis-à-vis the Board of Directors and its committees.
- Prepare APEX Annual Report, including necessary consolidation of information; drafting, production and distribution of the report
- Provision of activity/initiative specific contributions to Association newsletters and other targeted communications materials
- Provide assistance and support to the APEX Treasurer and the APEX Audit Committee with respect to the clarification of roles, the coordination and scheduling of audit-related meetings and discussions and the preparation of required communication materials
- Provide assistance and support in relation to APEX Events and activities, including the APEX Leadership Symposium and Induction Ceremony
- Provide support for the Strategic Plan financial sustainability initiative, recommending diversified funding sources/revenue generation opportunities
- Conduct, analyze, coordinate internal action and communicate results of the survey of new executives.
- Undertake other projects as required
2. APEX Executive – Research – Executive Policies
The ideal candidate should have significant experience and background in Human Resources, Advocacy and Research. The candidate should be strategic and prepared to lead work to support the federal public service executive community with respect to all people-related subjects, including executive policy, applicable legislation and terms and conditions of employment. This role involves consulting with APEX members and the Executive community more widely, working with the Office of the Chief Human Resources Officer and departmental Heads of Executive Group Services to develop advice to the Board of Directors for improvements to the terms and conditions of employment for the executive community, as well as for their professional development.
More specifically, this position would:
- Contribute to the multi-year Research Planning
- Conduct evidence-based research and develop positions related to matters of interest and impact to executives (including executive compensation)
- Respond to enquiries and requests for information from current and former executives on topics related to the executive terms and conditions of employment
- Support executives following TBS-OCHRO’s launch of the Executive Policy Suite Re-set, including seeking opportunities to collaborate with TBS-OCHRO, Organizational Representatives and the Heads of Executive Group Services
- Provide information and support to current and former executives, including compensation issues (e.g., retroactive payments; rates of pay, damages caused by the Phoenix Pay System) and in navigating the TBS-OCHRO implementation of policy changes impacting terms and conditions of employment
- Develop and maintain policy papers and various Guides for executives
- Conduct ongoing research and collaborate with TBS-OCHRO on joint activities of interest and benefit to the executive community
- Fully participates in APEX initiatives, as required.
- Analyze and review the application of the policy and legislative provisions applicable to federal public service executives
3. APEX Executive – Research – Health, Wellness and Talent Management
The health and wellbeing of executives remains a key priority for APEX, as does executive career management. The Association provides evidence-based advocacy for improvements to the workplace to enhance individual health outcomes and maximize organizational performance, as well as programming to support executives. The APEX Executive would be key in taking responsibility for research and program development in support of mental and physical health of Public Service Executives and undertaking research and initiatives related to talent management. This important project of work includes planning and executing surveys; communicating with executives around health and talent management; development of evidence-based positions in support of executives’ well-being; development of approaches to support executives’ health and career management. This opportunity will appeal to executives who wish to make a real contribution to the welfare and productivity of executives and their employees.
More specifically, this position would:
- Lead, in close collaboration with experts, the next round of APEX Executive Work and Health Survey and continue to provide insights and areas for action stemming from the 2017 APEX Executive Work and Health Survey (2017)
- Produce (working with a variety of experts, partners and stakeholders) evidenced-based research studies, events and presentations for APEX to continue to contribute to the body of health knowledge on executive and workplace health
- Design and deliver, working with other AEs, new initiatives aimed at maintaining focus and momentum on workplace health and to help leaders address the factors that have a negative impact on the health and well-being of Executives
- In support of career management, collect and analyze data for comprehensive insight into and perceptions and impact of talent management on executives and recommend and develop approaches to support executives in talent management
- Develop a plan for a New Executives Program
All APEX Executives are expected to possess and employ:
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Solid writing skills
- Comfort with collaboration across organizations and levels
- Sound judgment
- An ability to work alone but comfortable working as part of a team
- Flexibility and adaptability to changing circumstances
- Ability to perform all work related to their projects
- Fluency in English and French
How to Apply:
Please submit a short letter to the Chief Operating Officer at email@example.com
In your letter, please provide the following information:
- your reason for interest in the position and working with APEX;
- how you demonstrate the above skills and meet the requirements to perform the specific functions;
- an indication that your home department would be willing to support your Interchange agreement.
In your application, please add the following:
- copy of your resumé;
- confirmation of your performance ratings for the past 2 years.