Established in 1984, the Association of Professional Executives of the Public Service of Canada (APEX) is the national association for federal public service executives. We focus on supporting the success of executives and their community and being the voice of that community.
APEX is an independent, not-for-profit organization governed by a volunteer Board of Directors of federal executives. Approximately 3,000 federal public service executives from across the country are members of the Association, but many services are available to the more than 7,200 executives employed in the federal public service and those who are retired.
Led by the Chief Executive Officer, the Association is composed of 2 other senior Executives (Chief of Operations and the Senior Advisor for Executives), APEX Executives (AEs) from the public service via Interchange Canada and permanent staff. APEX Executives are drawn from their home organizations with the agreement of their Deputy Heads to cover their full salary, performance pay, and benefits for the entire duration of their assignment at APEX.
Through interchange opportunities with APEX, executives can further strengthen their leadership competencies: creating vision and strategy, mobilizing people, upholding integrity and respect; achieving results; promoting innovation and guiding change; and, collaborating with partners and stakeholders
APEX offers a well-appointed, positive and respectful work environment at 75 Albert Street, in downtown Ottawa. APEX is a national organization and Executives from across the country are invited to apply.
APEX Executives Opportunities
All levels of executives (or executive equivalent) are eligible. Ideally, the duration of the interchange would be two years and would feature prominently in the candidate’s talent management plan.
We are currently seeking a qualified executive, employed in the Federal Public Service and eligible for an Interchange Agreement, to fill the role of APEX Executive (AE) – Research – Executive Policies, APEX Executive – Director of Communications and, APEX Executive – Programming and Partnerships (Signature and Special Events). Additionally, APEX is also interested to hear from executives with a variety of backgrounds who may be interested in join our team as future positions become available.
1. APEX Executive – Research – Executive Policies
The ideal candidate should have significant experience and background in Human Resources, Advocacy and Research. The candidate should be strategic and prepared to lead work to support the federal public service executive community with respect to all people-related subjects, including executive policy, applicable legislation and terms and conditions of employment. This role involves consulting with APEX members and the Executive community more widely, working with the Office of the Chief Human Resources Officer and departmental Heads of Executive Group Services to develop advice to the Board of Directors for improvements to the terms and conditions of employment for the executive community, as well as for their professional development.
More specifically, this position would:
- Contribute to the multi-year Research Planning
- Conduct evidence-based research and develop positions related to matters of interest and impact to executives (including executive compensation)
- Respond to enquiries and requests for information from current and former executives on topics related to the executive terms and conditions of employment
- Support executives following TBS-OCHRO’s launch of the Executive Policy Suite Re-set, including seeking opportunities to collaborate with TBS-OCHRO, Organizational Representatives and the Heads of Executive Group Services
- Provide information and support to current and former executives, including compensation issues (e.g., retroactive payments; rates of pay, damages caused by the Phoenix Pay System) and in navigating the TBS-OCHRO implementation of policy changes impacting terms and conditions of employment
- Develop and maintain policy papers and various Guides for executives
- Conduct ongoing research and collaborate with TBS-OCHRO on joint activities of interest and benefit to the executive community
- Fully participates in APEX initiatives, as required.
- Analyze and review the application of the policy and legislative provisions applicable to federal public service executives
2. APEX Executive – Director of Communications
This role is the lead for APEX strategic communications, outreach and digital media.
The ideal candidate will have significant experience in strategic communication and/or policy design and development as well as relationship management. The candidate should be prepared to be the key lead in providing input toward all APEX strategic and operational communication matters – including outreach – as aligned with the APEX Vision and Mission. This strategic role is intended to work alongside and in strong collaboration with APEX Staff.
More specifically, this position would:
- Strengthen communications planning and delivery practices by developing and implementing a communications framework, internal processes and tools
- Develop and oversee implementation of communications strategy including oversight and guidance on outreach and corresponding communication, leading the digital and social media strategy, website content and support the team on the use of APEX branding elements
- Develop and implement key communications metrics for continuous monitoring and improvement
- Contribute to speech writing and general outreach presentations
- The establishment of a list of executive pain points to support the development of a specific outreach plan for regional executives as well as the development and delivery of an outreach program customized to the NCR as well as regional executives focussed on their specific need
- The management of APEX key internal networks such as the Heads of Executive Services and the APEX Organizational Representatives along with communication activities with the APEX networks
3. APEX Executive – Programming and Partnerships (Signature and Special Events)
This strategic role is key in the identification of overall APEX programming in support of the Public Service Executive Community. This role also involves providing input toward APEX’s partnership strategies. The incumbent will work with public, private and academic stakeholders to develop and deliver on APEX’s mandate.
The ideal candidate will have significant experience in program design and development as well as relationship management. The candidate should be prepared to be the key strategic lead in providing input toward the identification and integration of programming needs and identification of overall APEX programming in support of the Public Service Executive Community and as aligned with focus areas of PS Leadership, Public Policy, Wellness and Inclusion. This role also involves providing input toward a sponsorship strategy as well as toward the development and administration of an Affinity Partner program for APEX members. Programming, sponsorship and affinity program development are core to the mandate of APEX. This strategic role is intended to work alongside and in strong collaboration with APEX Staff.
More specifically, this position would:
- Based on careful research and analysis, provide strategic input for the Annual Leadership Summit, the APEX Awards of Excellence Ceremony, the Recognition of Entry to the Executive Ranks Ceremony as well as a programme of ongoing executive professional development opportunities
- Lead the implementation of APEX Awards of Excellence Programme
- Through targeted programming identification, achieve high participation in annual engagement, nationally, through events and activities
- Develop programming specific communications driven from respective activities and events
- Provide strategic input toward a sponsorship approach aimed at retaining current sponsors as well as recruiting new ones to enhance the APEX brand and fund events
- Provide strategic input toward the development and administration of an Affinity Partner program for APEX members aimed at increasing APEX membership and that responds to executive pain points, key segments and membership needs
APEX Executives are expected to demonstrate strong Key Leadership Competencies:
- Create vision and strategy
- Mobilize people
- Uphold Integrity and Respect
- Collaborate with partners and stakeholders
- Promote Innovation and Guide Change
- Achieve Results
APEX Executives must also demonstrate the following skills and abilities:
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Solid writing skills
- Comfort with collaboration across organizations and levels
- Sound judgement
- An ability to work alone but comfortable working as part of a team
- Flexibility and adaptability to changing circumstances
- Ability to perform all work related to their projects
- Fluency in English and French
How to Apply:
Please submit a short letter to the Chief Operating Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org
In your letter, please provide the following information:
- your reason for interest in the position and working with APEX;
- how you demonstrate the necessary skills and meet the requirements to perform the specific functions;
- an indication that your home department would be willing to support your Interchange agreement.
In your application, please add the following:
- copy of your resumé;
- confirmation of your performance ratings for the past 2 years.
Inquiries are welcome, please contact the Chief Operating Officer at email@example.com