Your voice can make a difference…
The APEX Nominating Committee invites applications for vacant positions on the APEX Board of Directors. These vacancies include:
- One (1) Director from the Quebec/Nunavut Region
- Two (2) Directors from the national Capital Region (NCR)
To advance the APEX mandate and objectives, we are looking for individuals with a particular interest and/or experience in the following areas:
- Engagement and communications – with a particular emphasis on social media;
- Building and leveraging professional and informal networks;
- Financial oversight and human resources experience; and
- Board governance, including Board leadership positions
The Nominating Committee is looking for energetic individuals with good communications skills, who will promote and champion APEX within their organizations and/or region as well as through their professional and informal networks. Board members should be aware of public service wide issues and trends that affect the Executive cadre. Experience as a board member for a not for profit organization or association would be an asset, but is not mandatory.
The APEX Board of Directors reflects the various hierarchical levels that exist within the Executive Group as well as the spirit of diversity referenced in the Employment Equity and the Official Languages Acts. Newly-appointed Executives are also encouraged to apply.
Assessment of applications and interviews will take place immediately following closing date with interviews scheduled as required for the week of July 15th, 2019. References provided by interviewed candidates will be contacted. New board members will assume office for a three (3)-year term following the APEX Annual General Meeting to be held in early October.
Serving on the Board offers you the opportunity to:
- Influence senior decision-makers on issues of interest to Executives
- Expand your professional network
- Share your talent, insights and skills to advance the APEX mandate
- Work with colleagues on issues of mutual interest
- Broaden your leadership skills and apply key leadership competencies
- Gain experience in the governance of a not-for-profit organization
The Commitment of APEX Board Members
- Attend and participate in Board meetings either in person or via electronic means
- Participate in and promote APEX events
- Chair or be a member of an APEX Board committee
The Application Process
To be considered you must an Executive and a Regular Member of APEX. If you are not a member, you may join by clicking here.
Your application package must:
- include a resume, highlighting your employment experience, skills and abilities, and official language skills
- clearly demonstrate how you could contribute to APEX, including relevant experience that will be beneficial to the Association, and how your addition to the Board would contribute to the diversity of the Board
- demonstrate why you wish to be a member of the Board of Directors of APEX
- include the names and coordinates of two (2) APEX members who support your nomination
- include the names of three (3) professional references (these can be the same or different from the APEX members who support your nomination)
Please send your application package to the APEX Nominating Committee, c/o Lynda Noel, Executive Assistant to the CEO, by mail or in person at 75 Albert Street, Suite 400, Ottawa, Ontario K1P 5E7 or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5pm (ET) June 14, 2019
Questions and Answer
Q: What is APEX?
- APEX is the Association of Professional Executives of the Public Service of Canada and is the recognized voice of Executives, with a proud tradition of advancing issues affecting Executives including compensation, terms and conditions of employment and workplace health. Supported by a Chief Executive Officer, a small staff, and Visiting Executives drawn from various federal Departments and Agencies, the Board of Directors provides strategic direction and oversight to the work of the Corporation’s staff.
The By-laws of the Corporation can be found here.
Q: What is the composition of the APEX Board of Directors?
- The Board of Directors is composed of 15 directors consisting of nine (9) members from the National Capital Region, and one (1) for each of the following regions: Atlantic, Quebec/Nunavut Region, Ontario Region, Prairie/Northwest Territories Region and British Columbia/Yukon Region. One Board position is reserved for an Associate member, a former member of the Executive Group (or equivalent) of the Public Service of Canada.
Q: How much time is involved in being a Board member?
- Board members typically attend 6 to 8 meetings per year, including a one-day annual planning meeting. Members are requested to come prepared to meetings and actively participate in discussions. Meetings are normally held between 4-6 p.m. Committee meetings are typically held only a few times per year. Events like the Learning Symposium, new EX Induction Ceremony, and the Annual General Meeting are all held once a year.
In addition to participating in Board meetings, Board members will be periodically engaged to seek their input, guidance, and leadership on varying topics.
Q: What expenses incurred by Board Members are covered by APEX?
- In keeping with the Association’s by-laws, Directors and committee members are reimbursed for reasonable expenses they incur in performing their duties as Directors or committee members. This includes travel expenses.