COVID-19 and our events
The well-being of our executive community is of paramount importance. For the safety and security of all we have decided to postpone or cancel select events. As such, the 2020 Leadership Symposium scheduled for May 26-27, has been cancelled. If you have registered you will receive a full reimbursement.
It is with great anticipation that we look forward to welcoming you to the 2021 Leadership Symposium to be held in Ottawa at the Shaw Centre, June 1-2.
Please stay tuned for updates on our other learning events as we role out our new and revised plan.
APEX 2020 Leadership Symposium
Invest in Your EXcellence
Tuesday, May 26 and Wednesday, May 27, 2020
The Shaw Centre, Ottawa
The #APEXSympo2020 will be held May 26 and 27, 2020, at the Shaw Centre in Ottawa.
We are very pleased that our DM Co-Chairs this year will be Anne Kelly, Commissioner, Correctional Service Canada and Daniel Watson, Deputy Minister, Crown Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs Canada.
This is a truly unique annual gathering of your peers; an opportunity to network, to learn and to expand your horizons. This year, our focus will include innovation, inclusion and wellness. We have had tremendous participation over the past few years (over 800 executives last year!) and with the exciting program that we are developing, we expect a huge turnout once again!
We will be updating this site with more information as it becomes available – but we can share that already we have an impressive line-up of keynote speakers, including:
- Stéfane Marion, Chief Economist and Strategist, National Bank of Canada, Executive Vice-President, Financial Market
- Dominic Barton, Canada’s Ambassador to China
- Mary Lou Maher, Head of Global Inclusion & Diversity, KPMG International and Managing Partner, Quality and Risk Management, KPMG
- Duncan Wardle, id8 & innov8, Former Head of Innovation and Creativity at Disney
- Rumeet Billan, President and CEO of Viewpoint Leadership
Not only do we have inspirational and thought provoking keynote speakers – but our concurrent sessions will also include issues that are practical, relevant and topical, such as:
- The Opioid Crisis
- Climate Change
- Mental Health and Wellness
- A Workshop on Innovation
- Designing an Inclusive and Accessible Canada
- Future of Work
- A Deputy Minister Networking Session
As per APEX tradition, the Clerk of the Privy Council and Secretary to the Cabinet, Ian Shugart, will deliver a keynote address.
We will also hear from Nancy Chahwan, Chief Human Resources Officer, Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat.
Don’t forget, we will also celebrate our peers at the APEX Awards of Excellence ceremony, where we will also be joined by our Clerk of the Privy Council!
Why Attend – Benefits for Participants
Invest in Your EXcellence … Have EXtraordinary Impact!
The APEX Annual Leadership Symposium is the premier national event engaging leaders of the Public Service of Canada. It brings together key influencers, innovative thinkers and global professionals.
At the 2020 Leadership Symposium you will:
- Listen to thought provoking speakers, on leadership, inclusion, innovation, wellness, global policy and social change who will help you to broaden your horizons.
- Discover new skills to inspire your creativity, support your well-being, and help you build inclusion within your teams.
- Engage with senior leaders through our new concurrent session – ‘Dialogue with a Deputy’ or connect at our networking breaks and reception.
- Expand your networks by connecting with peers and meeting new colleagues.
- Inspire change by taking key leadership learnings back to your team.
- Gain concepts and tools for developing personal and organizational resilience and greater self-awareness as a leader.
Feedback from 2019 Symposium participants
Participants can expect an event with world-class speakers, similar to last year’s program. Here are some comments and feedback from 2019 APEX Symposium participants:
- “I have now been to two Symposiums and can’t say enough about how excellent I think they are. The speakers are knowledgeable, interesting and highly relevant, there are good opportunities to connect with other executives. Both times, I left feeling really inspired and feeling like the time spent during those two days would really help me to be better at my job.”
- “Thank you for an amazing 2 days. Since becoming an Executive in 2008, this was my fourth or fifth Symposium and it was by far my favourite!!”
- “Exceptional quality conference, a good balance of subjects, trends, impeccable logistics.”
- “Thank you for such a well thought out 2 days- it kept my attention the entire time.”
- “This event exceeded my expectations, particularly the caliber of the speakers.”
- “Congratulations to the entire team. An excellent choice of subjects and speakers. Not easy to reinvent from one year to the next. You have once again raised the bar.”
- “It was my first APEX conference and I thought it was excellent! I am a fairly new EX and it would have been a missed opportunity if I hadn’t attended.”
Sponsorship and Exhibit Opportunities
The APEX 2020 Leadership Symposium offers a unique opportunity to establish meaningful business contacts and build new partnerships with senior decision makers, private sector executives and world renown speakers!
This two-day symposium is the most anticipated learning and networking event of the year for federal executives. It is also the single largest gathering of the federal public sector executive throughout the year.
The 2019 Leadership Symposium greeted a record high attendance of 823 executives from 71 federal organizations. 93% of the participants rated this Symposium as good to excellent. This year, we plan to do even better!
To learn more about Sponsorship and Exhibitor opportunities at the 2020 APEX Leadership Symposium, click here.
Information about our past Leadership Symposia can be found here.