The Association of Professional Executives of the Public Service of Canada (APEX) is the exclusive organization representing and supporting the interests of the Federal Public Service Executive Community across Canada, and abroad. We have the privilege of supporting thousands of executives on a range of topics of interest. We also offer retired executives the opportunity to stay connected with the community.
Joining APEX, or renewing your membership is easy. If you are eligible and would like to become a member of APEX, you may do so by completing this form and sending it to email@example.com. If you have any questions regarding membership or require assistance with the form, please do not hesitate to contact the Member Care Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A strong and active membership ensures that the Association’s voice continues to be heard on behalf of the entire executive community and that we continue to provide high value service, resources and learning opportunities.
For an annual $95 membership fee, APEX welcomes executives from across the Federal Public Service to join the Association (please see eligibility section below). The Association not only provides a forum through which the shared professional interests and concerns of the different segments of its membership can be identified and explored, but offers a tremendous wealth of resources and programming targeted to meet the needs of the community.
Once a year, APEX hosts a special event to honour newly appointed executives. With the help of the Clerk of the Privy Council, the heads of central agencies and deputy heads, APEX welcomes these new executives to the Public Service’s management team and to the Association.
Why become a member of APEX
Membership at APEX has many privileges. In line with our vision and mission, we offer our members high quality professional development opportunities. As a member you will receive priority access to learning events and discounts. You will also receive, exclusive access to resources, and access to our confidential Advisory Services. Our Advisory Services can provide you with guidance on your career, information on retirement, or advice if you are facing a difficult situation at work. We advocate on your behalf with Central Agencies and Deputy Heads. As a member of APEX, you have a privileged access to your Association.
A membership for executives that pays off in many ways:
- A suite of learning seminars, developmental opportunities and workshops. APEX members are given priority when registering for learning seminars and workshops
- APEX premier learning event, the annual Leadership Summit, offers world class keynote speakers from the private and academic sectors on topics such as innovation, leadership, collaboration, inclusion Canada’s economic outlook, and the health of the executive community. Members receive a special discounted rate on registration.
Resources for Members Logged-Into APEX’s Website
- APEX has published guides exclusively for members. These include the APEX Guide for Executives; the APEX Guide to Leave Without Pay (LWOP) and the APEX Guide to Retirement from the Federal Public Service.
- Reference documents exclusive to APEX Members entitled INFO-APEX. We have developed a series of Info-APEX Sheets to help our members with work related issues (Leave Entitlements, Performance Management Process, etc.). These INFO-APEX Sheets cut through the numerous policies to provide you with the information you need.
- Discounts and special offers through our Affinity partners.
Additionally, members benefit from APEX activities and services offered to the Public Service executive community:
- APEX offers anAdvisory Service for Executives for its members that is completely confidential. Whether you are facing major challenges at work or thinking of making a career change, you may be in need of advice at some point in your career as an executive.
- APEX engages on issues of importance and advocates on behalf of its members on matters that directly affect their career development and conditions of work.
- APEX gathers and shares, through programming and through our website, a wealth of resources with the executive community. We seek input on issues that matter to Public Service Executives, advocate on their behalf, and keep the community abreast of issues.
- APEX communicates regularly through newsletters and social media. This includes various articles about the Association’s activities, news of interest for the executive community and exclusive content of interest to executives in their day-to-day activities created by the APEX team.
If you are an indeterminate Executive of the Public Service of Canada (see classifications below), you are eligible to join APEX as a Regular Member. Executives while acting for more than 6 months are also eligible. Former executives of these classifications are also eligible as “Associate members”, with specific rights defined in the APEX By-laws, section 6.04.
As per APEX By-laws (Section 6.0), eligibility for an APEX Membership is open to the following groups and levels:
- Executive Group, EX-01 to EX-05
- Deputy Minister, DM 01 to DM-03
- Canada Energy Regulator, NEB 13-14-15
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Grade 13-16
- Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission, MGT and RLE 01-04
- Defense Scientific Services, DS 7A, 7B and 8
- Financial Transactions and Reports Analysis Centre of Canada, FT-05 to FT-08
- Governor in Council, GCQ, GC, GX appointments in full time management positions
- House of Commons, HCX-1 to HCX-5
- Indian Oil and Gas, AB 9-14
- Justice Canada, LC-01 to LC-04
- Library of Parliament, LEX-01 to LEX-05
- Medical Officer, MD-MOF 4 and 5
- Medical Specialist, MD-MSP 3
- National Capital Commission, RE/RÉ 8-11
- National Research Council, MG 01-05
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Canada, GR-EX-01 to GR-EX-05
- Parks Canada, PCX 01-05
- Office of the Auditor General, DX, AGS-07, PX, ASG-08, AAG, CE, DAG
- Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions, REX-07 to REX-11
- Senate, SEG
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council, GR-EX-01 to GR-EX-05