The Association of Professional Executives of the Public Service of Canada is the exclusive organization representing the interests of the entire Executive Community across Canada, and abroad. We have the privilege of supporting thousands of Executives on a range of topics of interest. We also offer retired Executives the opportunity to stay connected with the community and to maintain their security clearance, where desired.
Joining APEX, or renewing your membership is easy. If you are eligible to become a member and would like to join the Association, please simply fill out the online form or pay through payroll deduction.
A strong and active membership ensures that the Association’s voice continues to be heard on behalf of the entire executive community.
For an annual $95 membership fee, you have an unrivaled opportunity to work with your peers, through consultations and working groups, to shape the policies that determine your working conditions.
APEX welcomes as members executives from across the broader Public Service – from large and small departments, separate agencies and Crown Corporations. The Association provides a forum through which the shared professional interests and concerns of the different segments of its membership can be identified and explored.
Once a year, APEX hosts a special evening to honour newly appointed executives. With the help of the Clerk of the Privy Council, the heads of central agencies and deputy heads, APEX welcomes these new executives to the Public Service’s management team and to the Association.
If you are an indeterminate Executive of the Public Service of Canada (see classifications below), you are eligible to join APEX as a Regular Member. Former Executives of these classifications are also eligible as “Associate members”, with specific rights defined in the By-Laws.
As per APEX Bylaws (Section 6.0), eligibility for an APEX Membership is open to the following groups and levels:
- Executive Group category (EX-01 to EX-05)
- DM-01 to DM-03
- LC-01 to LC-04
- PCX 01-03 (Parks Canada)
- MGT and RLE 01-04 (Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission)
- AB 9-14 (Indian Oil and Gas);
- All Governor in Council (GCQ / GC) appointments in full time management positions.
- NEB 13-14-15 from the National Energy Board
- MG 01 to 05 from the National Research Council
- Defence Scientific Service (DS) Group, levels 7A, 7B, and 8 3 (as stated in the TBS Directive on the Performance Management Program for Executives)
- Medical Officer (MD-MOF) Group, levels 4 and 5, (as stated in the TBS Directive on the Performance Management Program for Executives) and
- Medical Specialist (MD-MSP) Group, level 3 (as stated in the TBS Directive on Executive Compensation)
Why Join APEX
Membership at APEX has many privileges. In line with our vision and mission statement, we offer our members high quality professional development opportunities, exclusive access to resources once logged in, and access to an HR professional who can provide you with advice if you are facing a difficult situation at work. We advocate on your behalf during meetings with central agencies and Deputy Heads. As a member of APEX, you have a privileged access to your association.
A membership for Executives that pays off in many ways:
- APEX Executive ConnEXions series provides an exclusive forum where our most senior and seasoned leaders share their views on topics like talent management or trends in government policy making. These members-only events provide the right environment for participants to have an open, frank discussion among all.
- APEX Executive Toolbox series provides learning opportunities on a variety of practical topics impacting executives’ day-to-day job. For example, we invite Senior Government Officials to provide guidance on how you can meet the government-wide corporate commitments and how to benefit from the Executive Talent Management System to advance your career goals.
- APEX premier learning event: the Annual Symposium offering world class keynote speakers from the private and academic sectors on topics such as innovation, leadership, collaboration, Canada’s economic outlook, and the health of the executive community. Members have a privileged reduction in registration cost.
Resources for Members Logged-Into APEX’s Website
- Privileged and exclusive access to the evergreen APEX’s Guide for Executives, a compendium of resources related to the management responsibilities of an Executive (terms and conditions of employment, salary and benefits, policies related to employee management, and financial policies.
- Reference documents exclusive to APEX Members entitled INFO-APEX. We have developed a series of Info-APEX Sheets to help our members with work related issues (Leave Entitlements, Performance Management Process, etc.). These INFO-APEX Sheets cut through the numerous policies and to provide you with the information you need.
- Discounts and special offers: APEX has negotiated special rates for APEX members on recreational services, health care, and home and vehicle insurance. Become a member and connect to the APEX website for more information on discounts and special offers available at Mont-Tremblant Resort, Medisys, GoodLife Fitness, and Johnson Insurance.
- APEX offers an expanded Advisory Service for Executives for its members that is completely confidential. Whether you are facing major challenges at work or thinking of making a career change, you may be in need of advice at some point in your career as an executive.
- APEX has established a ‘research function’ to help support the development of APEX positions. Based on sound research, APEX advocates on behalf of its members on matters that directly affect their career development and conditions of work.
- Based on research and membership surveys, APEX engages Senior Government Officials on issues of importance.
- The CEO of APEX is the spokesperson of APEX and will provide interviews to the media as appropriate.