Established in 1984, the Association of Professional Executives of the Public Service of Canada (APEX) is the national association for federal public service executives. We focus on supporting the success of executives and their community and being the voice of that community.
APEX is an independent, not-for-profit organization governed by a volunteer Board of Directors of federal executives. Approximately 3,000 federal public service executives from across the country are members of the Association, but many services are available to the more than 7,200 executives employed in the federal public service and those who are retired.
Led by the Chief Executive Officer, the Association is composed of 2 other senior Executives (Chief of Operations and the Senior Advisor for Executives), APEX Executives (AEs) from the public service via Interchange Canada and permanent staff. APEX Executives are drawn from their home organizations with the agreement of their Deputy Heads to cover their full salary, performance pay, and benefits for the entire duration of their assignment at APEX.
Through interchange opportunities with APEX, executives can further strengthen their leadership competencies: creating vision and strategy, mobilizing people, upholding integrity and respect; achieving results; promoting innovation and guiding change; and, collaborating with partners and stakeholders
APEX offers a well-appointed, positive and respectful work environment at 75 Albert Street, in downtown Ottawa. APEX is a national organization and Executives from across the country are invited to apply.
APEX Executives Opportunities
All levels of executives (or executive equivalent) are eligible. Ideally, the duration of the interchange would be two years and would feature prominently in the candidate’s talent management plan.
We are currently seeking a qualified executive, employed in the Federal Public Service and eligible for an Interchange Agreement, to fill the role of APEX Executive (AE) – Research – Executive Policies. Additionally, APEX is also interested to hear from executives with a variety of backgrounds who may be interested in join our team as future positions become available.
1. APEX Executive – Research – Executive Policies
The ideal candidate should have significant experience and background in Human Resources, Advocacy and Research. The candidate should be strategic and prepared to lead work to support the federal public service executive community with respect to all people-related subjects, including executive policy, applicable legislation and terms and conditions of employment. This role involves consulting with APEX members and the Executive community more widely, working with the Office of the Chief Human Resources Officer and departmental Heads of Executive Group Services to develop advice to the Board of Directors for improvements to the terms and conditions of employment for the executive community, as well as for their professional development.
More specifically, this position would:
- Contribute to the multi-year Research Planning
- Conduct evidence-based research and develop positions related to matters of interest and impact to executives (including executive compensation)
- Respond to enquiries and requests for information from current and former executives on topics related to the executive terms and conditions of employment
- Support executives following TBS-OCHRO’s launch of the Executive Policy Suite Re-set, including seeking opportunities to collaborate with TBS-OCHRO, Organizational Representatives and the Heads of Executive Group Services
- Provide information and support to current and former executives, including compensation issues (e.g., retroactive payments; rates of pay, damages caused by the Phoenix Pay System) and in navigating the TBS-OCHRO implementation of policy changes impacting terms and conditions of employment
- Develop and maintain policy papers and various Guides for executives
- Conduct ongoing research and collaborate with TBS-OCHRO on joint activities of interest and benefit to the executive community
- Fully participates in APEX initiatives, as required.
- Analyze and review the application of the policy and legislative provisions applicable to federal public service executives
2. Future Vacancies
As a small organization, all APEX Executives work together and contribute their effort, ideas, energy collectively to support the PS executive community. This includes:
- Lead and contribute to the vision, mission and strategic objectives of APEX
- Ensure a broad and deep knowledge of the executive community and propose areas, approaches and research for EX Advocacy
- Collaborate with key internal and external stakeholders around research, programming and resources
APEX Executives are expected to demonstrate strong Key Leadership Competencies:
- Create vision and strategy
- Mobilize people
- Uphold Integrity and Respect
- Collaborate with partners and stakeholders
- Promote Innovation and Guide Change
- Achieve Results
APEX Executives must also demonstrate the following skills and abilities:
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Solid writing skills
- Comfort with collaboration across organizations and levels
- Sound judgement
- An ability to work alone but comfortable working as part of a team
- Flexibility and adaptability to changing circumstances
- Ability to perform all work related to their projects
- Fluency in English and French
How to Apply:
Please submit a short letter to the Chief Operating Officer at email@example.com
In your letter, please provide the following information:
- your reason for interest in the position and working with APEX;
- how you demonstrate the necessary skills and meet the requirements to perform the specific functions;
- an indication that your home department would be willing to support your Interchange agreement.
In your application, please add the following:
- copy of your resumé;
- confirmation of your performance ratings for the past 2 years.
Inquiries are welcome, please contact the Chief Operating Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org