APEX is currently looking for a PS Executive to fill the role of APEX Executive – Data Management. We are seeking an analytical professional who thrives on the chance to decipher data systems and use available data to support APEX’s Vision. This is both a strategic but very much operational position in our organization.
The AE- Data Management will develop integrated strategic approaches for the development and use of APEX data, analyze, acquire, link and interpret various complex data sets from various sources. Working closely with all APEX Centres of Excellence (CoE) as well as the Information Technology team, and with expert support as necessary, the AE- Data Management will develop and oversee governance of the APEX data, research and supporting systems to meet the needs of the APEX informational, communication, organizational and research capacities. This includes development and oversight of a system for professionally, securely, effectively and efficiently accessing, validating, and storing APEX data that is needed for research and day-to-day business operations.
The AE – Data Management would represent continued and accurate understanding of our reports, data and interpretation; be very familiar with our database, its functionality, the reporting capabilities, the limitations and would be able to identify appropriate (and new) functionality requirements in response to patterns of demands and future requirements within the Association. This individual would also play a strategic role in understanding data requests and requirements and ensure accuracy of information pulled out of the system and accurate interpretation and understanding by those receiving the report.
Safeguarding the security and confidentiality of APEX data is also critical.
- Monitor, gather, identify and provide data and analysis from complex information and data systems. This includes being familiar with various custom self serve data systems
- Be aware of everchanging environment that could affect analytical results
- Interpret and explain complex data with clarity and certainty
- Formulate/develop special reports upon request
- Conduct analysis to ensure that data collected is adequate, reliable and matches needs and identify creative solutions for how to use it to reach goals. Close any weakness gaps.
Data integrity and access
- Maintain exceptional familiarity with the data that APEX holds and has access to; identifying linkages; opportunities; gaps; redundancies
- Develop and maintain relationship with data source providers; understand data holdings
- Develop integrated data management strategies; work collaboratively with colleagues (including CoEs) to determine the respective and integrated data needs to be collected and identify the resources with which to effectively collect them
- Ensure data and information is gathered and managed in a central database and file structure
- Maintain distribution lists and standalone database easibly accesses, yet secure, location
- Review presentations, think pieces/papers, tables and graphs for accuracy and quality/integration/interpretation of data
- Maintain internal data asset library
- Ensure the integrity, confidentiality and security of all databases/datasets
- Continuously search and identify ways to use data to support business objectives
- Provide guidance in identifying and defining data requirements
- Create documentation and training that the entire team can use
- Ensure database training and access to documentation on the business’s processes by those who will need to access or use the information sets
- Keep track of online accounts and help others keep track of passwords, usernames and accounts for data sources
- Working with data, assist APEX staff by supporting customized reports/ needs beyond aggregate data
- Set up integrations within APEX data holding systems (enabling systems to “talk to one another” for analytics and reports)
- Lead the development and implementation of a plan for digital transformation of data management as necessary (I am not really sure about this one)
Policy, Procedures and Protocol
- Develop, implement and enforce standard operating procedures for data collection, handling, accessing and archiving
- Develop targeted approaches alongside APEX staff for larger in depth projects and support data collection methods as relevant to APEX projects
- Create rules and procedures for data sharing
- Provide guidance and proper training to all APEX Employees to be able to perform data collection independently and effectively; in the day to day use of in house data systems as well as provide data pull and analysis from external data systems
- Ensure office wide adherence to legal, privacy, confidentiality and security obligations around data; all data collection and retention procedures must be in line with relevant rules and guidelines .Work with APEX IT team to ensure and support in recognizing and upholding digital security systems to protect delicate information
- Conduct evaluation of the design, access, implementation and support of database as necessary for business needs (ensure databases are compatible with needs); redesign/develop as necessary
Tools – Identification and support
- Ensure the proper functioning of data collection software and internet applications at all times
- Assess system performance and make recommendations for software, hardware, and data storage solutions
- Provide technical oversight for integrating new technology or new initiatives into data standards and structures.
- Identify required tools/investment in technology, systems and training.
- A Bachelor’s degree in any of data management analysis, computer science, computer engineering, statistics, or other IT-related field
- A minimum of 3+ years’ experience in data management or analysis
- Experience with data management, reporting, statistics
- Ideal candidate with have a strong aptitude for technology, a professional demeanor, and possess excellent troubleshooting skills
Knowledge and Abilities
- Understanding of the organizations comprising the Federal Public Service (ie: FAA Schedule of Organizations).
- Knowledge and experience working with Google analytics
- Ability to research, interpret, decipher, manage, analyze and organize large amounts of data
- Ability to communicate in both official languages
- Ability to communicate complex problems and ideas clearly and in nontechnical terms
- Ability to examine data and look for patterns; to effectively manage and use information to seek, identify and organization information for patterns and effective access
- Ability to apply knowledge, experience, data sources/information toward business intelligence – understand what that data means to the organization and to support the integration process / provide solutions for non-integrated systems
- Ability to effectively navigate database software, including software functions and understanding how to use reports and forms in a database
- Ability to both think critically (out of the box) and also be able to pay complete attention to details
- Ability to work with some element of ambiguity and establish a path forward, accomplishing assignments/tasks autonomously (as well as in context of team)
- Knowledge and understanding of database design concepts, including appreciation for the limits and benefits of different types of data bases for purposes of database planning and design
- Ability to plan both short and long-term database projects
- Demonstrate strong decision-making and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated collaborative leadership behaviours
- Willingness to work in a team, as either a member of a team or the leader of the team
- Self-motivated, goal-oriented
- Reliable, respect confidentiality
- Highly organized