This document was developed by APEX for information purposes only and does not constitute an authoritative document. It is important to always verify with Government of Canada sources before making a decision. In situations where there is a difference between the information contained in it and the official information available from Government of Canada sources, the latter will take precedence.
© For reference of APEX members only
[ * ] Content is restricted to APEX Members.
Table of Contents
- Illness or injury in the workplace*
- Acceptance of employment in the office of a minister, a minister of State, a secretary of State, or a member of Parliament*
- Political activity*
- Seek nomination as or be a candidate in a federal, provincial, territorial or municipal election*
- Service in the Canadian Forces Reserve*
- Relocation of spouse or common-law partner*
- Leave with income averaging*
- Care of family*
- Special Leave Without Pay*
- Pensionable leave without pay*
- Leave without pay as pensionable service*
- Payment options for pensionable leave without pay contributions*
- Tax implications surrounding a period of leave without pay*
- Service buyback*
- Public Service Health Care Plan (PSHCP)*
- Public Service Dental Care Plan (PSDCP)*
- Public Service Management Insurance Plan (PSMIP)*
This Guide has been developed to assist you in understanding leave without pay (LWOP) and its implications on your pay, pension plan contributions, benefits coverage and leave entitlements.
If you are employed by a Separate Agency, you should contact your Human Resources department to confirm if the Directives referenced in this document or organization-specific approaches apply.